Re: feature request: abs-fontsize available for all text grobs

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: feature request: abs-fontsize available for all text grobs
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2013 16:26:03 +0200

> Hi David,
>
>> I have no idea what you would consider more right than what Mike provided.
>
> Here are a couple of things, any of which, if implemented, would make
> it "more right" than what Mike provided:
>
> 1. The user doesn't have to add a function to a file, because Lilypond
> has it built in.

That's not a question of wrong or right.

> 2. The user doesn't have to change the #'stencil of something, rather
> they use a far more intuitive function/method like the one already in
> place for markup (e.g., \abs-fontsize).

It's not at all clear what it should apply to.

> 3. The syntax*** for setting a grob to an absolute fontsize is
> identical (or essentially so) regardless of the grob.

Before one even has a notion what "regardless of the grob" is supposed
to mean, one needs to have an idea what it should apply to.  Grobs don't
generally are made from markup.

>>> This might be a job for GLISS…
>>
>> Not at all.  It's not input syntax related.
>
> Oh, but it is, as I've clearly just shown (***).

One person's clearly is another's hand-waving.

--
David Kastrup