Re: Discuss signature for new function \annotate

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Discuss signature for new function \annotate
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2013 15:51:03 +0200

Urs Liska <address@hidden> writes:

> When I replace symbol-list-or-music? with symbol? as the last
> parameter it compiles fine with 'Script' for example.
> So I could use that for now and only use it for grobs (and not as a
> postfix tweak) (?).

symbol-or-music? would likely work as well.  You just can't write
something like Staff.Script then.

> Am 06.06.2013 15:34, schrieb David Kastrup:
>> Stupid question: independent of me fixing this, wouldn't your function
>> actually be supposed to return some music expression anyway?  If so,
>> using a music function defined as #{ #} for the testing phase should be
>> sufficient for avoiding this parser problem.
> Well, that's not stupid, but essential.
> My function may or may not return a music expression depending on some
> flags. So I'll have to write a music function that eventually returns
> an empty music expression, isn't it?

Possibly.  Pretty much all of the symbol-list-or-music? signature
functions return either an override (which is a music expression) or a
tweaked music expression (which obviously also is a music expression).
So there is no conflict of return type.  But returning a void music
expression should also be fine.

--
David Kastrup