Re: odd bar check errors

From: Wim van Dommelen
Subject: Re: odd bar check errors
Date: Mon, 13 May 2013 14:22:20 +0200

Hi Sarah,

You sure have come a long way, but I think it is already a nice result.

What I see:

- line 17: the opening bracket is still before the \relative instead of after. That causes a problem that the musical _expression_ seen by the \relative is only the next statement, that is the \key g \major. After that LilyPond will interpret the notes for the flute as absolute. But be carefull in changing it, because there are some octave jumps and by adding these up LilyPond can let the notes "runaway".

- line 68: the jump from g'' to b''' is impossible, it arrives here because it starts at \relative c'', goes to the d, to the g (all without quotes) and then the b' is interpreyed as b''. This is a typical example of LilyPond "running away" in the height because all the quotes add up. My guess is that the quote after the b is wrong and you want this b in the same range. Remove and check if this is what you want. This happens also at some other places, for example on line 70 where it goes to the next octave because the higher d is closer then the lower one. This is how \relative works: the last note specified was an a, the next is a d without quote or comma so it fetches the d closest by. But my guess is you don't want that high d but one octave lower. You'll get that one by specifying d, (the note followed by a comma).

- line 26: the notes do not match up to 12/8, LilyPond complains on the barcheck. Reading the discussion on the \grace note, I'm wondering if you want a grace note here or that note is just part of the regular music the \grace command acts on the next _expression_, in this case the gis and it does NOT count it for the whole measure, so now you have 11/8. Either the \grace should be out or another /8 should be in somewhere. I cannot decide for you.

- line 187: next barcheck problem: same problem with 1/8 missing (or a stray \grace)

- several places: you specify different size of the repeats, for example in the flute part you a \repeat on line 20 spanning a significant piece of the music (it ends in line 43), but in the clarinet part you start a repeat on line 65 ending in the midlle of line 67. This piece is much smaller. LilyPond will insert several repeat marks and propagate these when possible to the other parts as well. It makes the result a little bit messy. Because it is a small piece and I think you only want the repeats to avoid typing too much notes, you can think of taking out the ones you don't need. Like line 67 already show the d4. and r4. twice, the repeat is too much.

- line 125: the bassoon normally uses a bass-clef, insert it here after the global!

- line 61: here you \transpose the clarinet music, but you do it wrong! It should be \transpose bes c' because that is how the clarinet is written. But in line 429 you do it again which cancels out the first action. Plus you also mention \transposition in line 427. My advise: remove the \transpose in line 61, also remove the \transposition in line 427 and leave 429. Because your piece is written in concert pitch g major, it should now for the clarinet part show a major.

- line 176: same problem for the horn: remove it and also the \transpose in line 441.

Good luck and have a good performance!

Regards,
Wim.