Re: Fingering not aligned in 2.17, ok in 2.16

From: Nick Payne
Subject: Re: Fingering not aligned in 2.17, ok in 2.16
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2013 14:07:27 +1100

On 24/03/13 04:07, Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:
Nick Payne writes:

Do you consider this a bug?  Actually, I like the new behaviour
better.  What does the literature say?
The great majority of commercial guitar scores I possess align the
fingering vertically on chords, as 2.16 does.
Which means that there is no strict agreement?  The great majority
have been wrong before.

What about the most beautiful scores amongst your collection, what do
they do?
I think the best look is achieved by either having the chord fingering aligned vertically, or having it so that it is spaced a consistent amount away from from the note or accidental - i.e. if fingering doesn't need to avoid an accidental elsewhere in the chord, it should sit where it would normally sit next to the notehead if the accidental wasn't there. The second option can be achieved in Lilypond by tweaking fingerings that don't need to avoid an accidental with a large negative script priority:

\relative f'' {
  \set fingeringOrientations = #'(left)
  <cis-1 a-1 e-1>4
  <cis!-1 a-1 e-\tweak script-priority #-199 -1>4