Re: Instrument switching with a new staff - possible?

From: Nathan
Subject: Re: Instrument switching with a new staff - possible?
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 16:16:41 -0800

On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 3:24 PM, SoundsFromSound <address@hidden> wrote:
Nathan:

Wow, that comes out amazingly in LilyPond when I render it - how did you
know how to do all that? Damn, I wish I could be that savvy :)

It's not *essential* that the line be centered, I was just trying to make
this as "neat" on the eyes as possible - it's absolutely FINE if it must
stay up in that RH area of the piano's grand staff.

Thank you again!

May I ask one more thing of you?  Can you briefly explain the various parts
of the code you added, and touch upon what does what for the output?

Ben

First off, Eluze's solution is brilliant. #'line-positions never crossed my mind.

Here are the annotations as requested.

right = \relative c'' {
  \global
  c4 d e f | R1 | R1 | c4 f g f
  % \stopStaff and \startStaff are covered in the docs:
  % The staff symbol has to be stopped and restarted to be able to change the line count.
  \stopStaff
  % This adjusts the extent of the barline.
  % See what happens if you remove it.
  \once \override Staff.BarLine #'bar-extent = #'(-2 . 2)
  % This sets the staff to have only one line.
  \override Staff.StaffSymbol #'line-count = #1
  % This forces all the notes to the middle line.
  % See http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=778
  \set squashedPosition = #0
  % x note heads
  \xNotesOn