Re: Horns example from blog

From: Xavier Scheuer
Subject: Re: Horns example from blog
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2013 09:26:07 +0100

On 22 February 2013 04:41, Jim Long <address@hidden> wrote:

> I don't do any ensemble scoring to speak of, but I used to play
> french horn, so I decided to take a crack at one wishlist example
> from the blog, the ability to:
>
> 1) label a staffgroup with a centered instrument name, instead of
> only being able to label each separate staff of the group;
>
> 2) splitting out separate instrument parts whilst also being able
> to flexibly combine parts on the conductor's score.
>
> Very old hat for most of the veterans on here, to be sure.
>
> My meager attempt is attached, with only one non-default bit of
> formatting.
>
> I wasn't sure, but I sort of remembered that horn scores are
> usually grouped 1st and 3rd, 2nd and 4th.  Apologies if I have
> mis-numbered the individual parts.
>
> I will say that the merging of noteheads onto stems is probably
> the weak spot in my knowledge.  The lower staff happened by
> chance, because all the stems naturally go up.  The upper staff
> required setting both voices to 'voiceOne' to make the stems line
> up, and that probably wouldn't be the best solution in a larger
> example.  Is there a better way to merge noteheads when possible,
> while keeping reasonable voiceOne / voiceTwo stems when not
> possible?

\partcombine
See NR 1.5.2 Multiple voices > Automatic part combining
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.17/Documentation/notation/multiple-voices#automatic-part-combining

It's far from perfect (see the numerous issues with "partcombine" tag
on the tracker), but it gives a quite nice output without much tweaks.

> The piece also generates several warnings about clashing note
> columns.

This is due to the fact that you have different voices with stems
"clashing" (two or more voices with same stem directions and no shift).
It is only a warning in the sense "these voices are not
'differentiated', are you sure you did not meant to use a chord
construct or partcombine?", as I understand it.

> And I realized that when I put several scores on the same page,
> I don't know how to put a page break between scores.

\bookpart
See NR 4.3.2 Page breaking
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.17/Documentation/notation/page-breaking

Cheers,