lilypond-book/LateX Beamer: best rendering practice?

From: Florian Hollerweger
Subject: lilypond-book/LateX Beamer: best rendering practice?
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 12:55:10 +0100

Hi all,

As mentioned earlier, I am planning to deliver a Lilypond workshop together
with a friend at this year's Linux Audio Conference. For the workshop slides, I
already have a working setup using lilypond-book --pdf in combination with
pdflatex and LaTeX Beamer.

However, I am not entirely satisfied with the *on-screen* PDF display that my
current setup provides.
In particular, the BWV 861 comparison between Finale (PDF from [1]) and
Lilypond (generated with lilypond-book --pdf and pdflatex) does not look half
as convincing as the PNG comparison on the website [2], no matter which PDF
viewer I use.

Don't worry, I am not gonna embark on a discussion of barline thickness for
on-screen PDF rendering :) But I would be interested in your suggestions re. a
best Lilypond rendering practice for my following requirements:

===BEGIN LETTER TO SANTA===
- On-screen display must be of sufficient enough quality to convince also
without printed examples. The benchmark is the BWV 861 comparison mentioned
above.

- Must use lilypond-book and LaTeX Beamer, but choice of Lilypond/LaTeX output
format (PDF, PNG, PS, etc.) is flexible.

- I don't care which viewer application (acroread, Okular, etc.) I have to use
for the presentation, but it should ideally work under Linux.

- Doesn't hurt if the final document looks good in print, too :) However, I'd
be willing to implement two parallel rendering toolchains for on-screen and
print.
===END LETTER TO SANTA===

I have a feeling this might boil down to a PDF vs. PNG showdown?

- For "high-quality" LaTeX documents, PDF seems to be preferable to PNG, hence
my initial choice of pflatex and lilypond-book --pdf.

- But I get the impression that PNGs (rather than PDFs) might be the way to go
for better-quality on-screen display of Lilypond output?

Any comments or pointers in the right directions will be greatly appreciated!

Best,
flo.H