Re: Streamlining my thoughts on the clarinet woodwind-diagrams

From: Joseph Rushton Wakeling
Subject: Re: Streamlining my thoughts on the clarinet woodwind-diagrams
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2013 10:29:12 +0100

On 02/08/2013 10:11 AM, Wim van Dommelen wrote:
But that also has the low-ees, because it still is a "soprano" it sounds higher
then the low-ees in the bass-clarinet. The key lay-out is similar as the
basset-clarinet (which is in A, not B flat). Confusing all this is .......

Not really ... ?

Think of it like this:

   * There's the regular soprano clarinet.

   * There's the full-Boehm soprano clarinet, which has a RH low ees key in the
     normal place.

   * There's the basset clarinet, which has extra keys for low ees, d, des and
     c (and conceivably also b).  It's not really predictable how these keys
     will be laid out.

There's no need to think about Bb versus A clarinet, or which octave the instrument sounds in, because all fingering diagrams are given with respect to key name on the instrument rather than concert pitch.

I.m.h.o. what should appear is the common name of the key as e.g. used in
teaching. Example: trill a' - bes' would involved the left-hand a key pressed
and with the right hand trilling the second key from above on the side. So for
this bes-stencile on the left hand it should show "A" (or "a") but not in the
middle but on the top side, for the right hand it should show "Bes" (or "bes",
but not "2"). In the stencil this bes would be specified as:

Let me be more specific.

The side trill keys are not the issue here -- we should fix how they are labelled but that covers _all_ members of the clarinet family.

What I'm asking is, specifically, how should the low extended-range notes -- ees, d, des, c -- be placed on the key-name diagram? How will this differ between the different diagrams you suggest?