Re: Supporting LilyPond development financially

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Supporting LilyPond development financially
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2012 04:21:46 -0800

On Thu, Nov 08, 2012 at 10:38:53AM +0100, David Kastrup wrote:
> Francisco Vila <address@hidden> writes:
> > If I were the sole designer/developer of the web page, I'd put a big
> > star-shaped Donate! or Sponsor! button clearly visible on the front
> > page. Tiny, personal projects do it all the time.
>
> Ah, but this is not a tiny, personal project.  We discussed this before,
> and putting a "Donate to David" button on a central LilyPond page was
> deemed inappropriate.  And just to make this very clear: _I_ consider it
> inappropriate as well.  "Donating to the LilyPond project" and "Donating
> to David" are separate things, and I don't want any mechanism in place
> where the first is more or less silently converted into the second.

David is completely correct here.

I would encourage interested people to put more effort into
fostering and maintaining a community: lilynet, maybe blogs, maybe
making mutopia (or some platform) more active, etc.  At the moment
there's a huge gap between the daily activity of mailing lists and
most users.  lilynet is a good start, but it's always in need of
more contributors and a more regular schedule.  And more
advertising... nobody added lilynet 28 to the main lilypond
website news, for example.

- Graham