Re: Supporting LilyPond development financially

From: Francisco Vila
Subject: Re: Supporting LilyPond development financially
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2012 10:44:48 +0100

2012/11/8 David Kastrup <address@hidden>:
> Francisco Vila <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> 2012/11/8 Janek Warchoł <address@hidden>:
>>> ...and we (Lily team) may need to rethink our strategies as well.
>>> Ben, we have this website about sponsoring Lily development:
>>> http://www.lilypond.org/sponsoring.html
>>> should we make it more visible?  or should we make it more clear how
>>> it works?
>>
>> If I were the sole designer/developer of the web page, I'd put a big
>> star-shaped Donate! or Sponsor! button clearly visible on the front
>> page. Tiny, personal projects do it all the time.
>
> Ah, but this is not a tiny, personal project.  We discussed this before,
> and putting a "Donate to David" button on a central LilyPond page was
> deemed inappropriate.  And just to make this very clear: _I_ consider it
> inappropriate as well.  "Donating to the LilyPond project" and "Donating
> to David" are separate things, and I don't want any mechanism in place
> where the first is more or less silently converted into the second.

While I mostly agree, I'd still put a more visible generic call to
contributing, in the form of a link to the sponsoring page. Once
there, people can be appropiately informed and act accordingly to
their wishes. My point is only to offer a direct tunnel to this
important aspect of the project's sustainability.

--
Francisco Vila. Badajoz (Spain)
www.paconet.org , www.csmbadajoz.com