Re: Cross-staff slur with irregular shape

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: Cross-staff slur with irregular shape
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2012 17:23:22 -0500

Hi Michael,

On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 4:48 PM, Michael Rivers
<address@hidden> wrote:
> I'm notating "Quatre Poèmes" by Guy Ropartz
>
> http://conquest.imslp.info/files/imglnks/usimg/b/b3/IMSLP24553-PMLP55389-Ropartz_-_4_Po__mes__voice_and_piano_.pdf
>
> and I would like cross-staff slurs shaped like the ones on the third system
> of the first page of the edition linked to above. (The slur begins with one
> shape in the bottom staff and switches to another shape as the notes move to
> the upper staff.) I apologize if this is in the manual, but I am unable to
> track it down.

There's no automatic way to do this.  Probably the easiest way to
achieve what you want to do is by using the \shape command, which is
new in 2.16.0.  Here's part of your example:

\version "2.17.5"

\new PianoStaff <<
  \new Staff = "1" {
    \key cis \minor
    s1
  }
  \new Staff {
    \relative c {
      \clef bass
      \key cis \minor
      % if using versions older than 2.17.4, use
      % \shape Slur #'((0 . -6.5) (0 . -6) (1 . -10) (0 . -6))
      \shape #'((0 . -6.5) (0 . -6) (1 . -10) (0 . -6)) Slur
      cis8[( gis']
      \change Staff = "1"
      gis'8 e)
      s2

In recent development versions, there's been a change in the syntax of
the command.  I show you the older version as a comment in the example
above.

You can find documentation for the command here:
http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.17/Documentation/notation/modifying-shapes

In the newer development versions, you can also use the command as a tweak.

HTH,
David