Re: Problem with remove bar number/ why I'm not upgrading to the new sta

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: Problem with remove bar number/ why I'm not upgrading to the new stable version
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2012 16:18:31 -0500

David,

On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 2:42 PM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
> David Nalesnik <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> However, there are often questions that can't be answered in any way
>> but to delve into Scheme.  As recently, for example, when a question
>> was posed about using \draw-line to make a dashed line instead of a
>> solid one.  AFAIK, there's no simple way to do it which you can look
>> up in one of the manuals.  The only way to answer the poster's
>> question was to rewrite Lily's Scheme code for \draw-line into Scheme
>> code for a new command \draw-dashed-line, which Harm and I did.  Maybe
>> someday Lily will be enhanced so that no one need "see the gears," but
>> in the meantime, that's the stopgap solution these questions will
>> receive.  (Unless they are to remain unanswered, that is.)
>
> Of course, there is a danger that solutions like that are floated on the
> lists and don't actually make it into LilyPond as readily available
> functionality.

Certainly.  It happens that a number of these solutions are "one-offs"
for unusual requests, but sometimes there's a general utility.  If the
answer is on the lists, it's easy just to refer the poster to that
thread.  Eventually, of course, solutions like these are lost for
good.  (For example, there's an email from Mike Solomon I distantly
remember detailing how something might be centered between staves; I'd
like to read it again, but I can't find it in the archives any more.)
Now that I'm getting more familiar with the development tools, I'm
happy to work on adding useful things.  What qualifies as "bloat" I'm
not so sure.

-David