Re: Problem with remove bar number/ why I'm not upgrading to the new sta

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: Problem with remove bar number/ why I'm not upgrading to the new stable version
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2012 16:57:53 +0200

Jay,

On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 10:54 PM, Jay Hamilton <address@hidden> wrote:
> Janek-
> I'm not going to do that [upgrade to 2.16].  Here's a few reasons why.
> I've been using lilypond since some kind of 1.... version.  Some of the
> stable versions have been baby steps and easy to accommodate and understand.
> Many many of the changes that have been taking place in V2 have not been
> like that.  It took me a year to figure out all the changes during the last
> two stable  versions.  And now there is a new one and just looking at the
> templates I realize that I have no idea what is going on and that the
> program has now reached a level of complexity that defeats my purposes- to
> produce a good looking, in a quick way, sheet of music for students and
> professional musicians.
>
> I'm sorry, perhaps lily is becoming a better program but it's not becoming a
> better piece of software from this user's perspective.  And hasn't been in
> the last few iterations, it's just changed.

I'm sorry to hear that.  From my perspective (i'm using Lily since
2.10.33), every new version is noticeably better, and it's not like
i'm using very advanced notations or high-tech Scheme hacking that
would require advanced new features.
I can imagine that spacing changes in 2.14 might have been difficult
to accomodate, but other than that i don't quite see what could be so
difficult for you.  The only explanation that comes to my head is that
you have some old habits from "ancient" lily versions (1.x) which are
confusing you.  I can only say that while lily's not perfect (yet), i
find her already quite reasonable to use for not-very-tweaked music.

best,
Janek