Re: Possible multiple bugs, any way around?

From: Tim McNamara
Subject: Re: Possible multiple bugs, any way around?
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2012 15:11:36 -0500

On Jun 7, 2012, at 11:24 PM, Sami wrote:

>> Normally, \bar "|:" at the very beginning is redundant and should
>> be left out. Music with no \bar "|:" anywhere is always understood
>> to go back to the beginnining.
>
> Typically yes, true, but it is much better vsually to define both the start
> and the end of the repeats, especially in exercises such as the ones
> I am writting, or lead sheets, where visual clarity is essential.

Only if there is unrepeated music played before the repeated sections.
Otherwise putting in any more elements than are necessary can cause unnecessary
visual clutter.  Ask me how I know.  ;-)

Look at most jazz lead sheets, there is usually no equivalent of \bar "|:" at
the start or \bar ":|" at the end.  A prime exception is some lead sheets where
the form is truncated with repeats so that it stays on a single page (e.g.,
"Waltz For Debby" in the old illegal Real Books, which has nested repeats to
negotiate).  But most standards start with no repeat glyph and end with the
equivalent of \bar "|." yet everyone knows to repeat the forms as needed.

Tim