Re: musescore lands sponsoring?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: musescore lands sponsoring?
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 12:44:08 +0200

Jan Nieuwenhuizen <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup writes:
>
>>> We're missing consensus.  I think that if there were a
>>> SponsorshipMeister, not unlike the BugMeister, we could do really cool
>>> stuff like this.  Besides the monetary aid, this brings huge
>>> recognition to the community and gets a lot of people on board.
>
>> A "SponsorshipMeister" is dangerously close to the premise that we can
>> turn money into LilyPond.  The truth is that we can turn enthusiasm into
>> LilyPond.
>
> How to turn enthousiasm into LilyPond, if people are unaware of it's
> existence.  Long before we go SponsorshipMeister, I would suggest a
> PRMeister.

I don't think that people are unaware of its existence.  Mutopia has
more than 1500 pieces by now.  Those did not exactly fall from some
tree.

>> We don't make the best of our potential for selling LilyPond out.
>> But we should not run into trap of making money a metric for the
>> success of LilyPond or its contributors.
>
> So what would be a valid metric for LilyPond's success?  Can we
> determine where the hanging fruit is that we are missing in selling
> LilyPond out?

Are we missing something?  With all the "things should be better" talk,
I can't help noticing that we have great and dedicated people working on
a totally large software project with about a dozen translations, likely
the best documentation system of the GNU project, and really large
uptake and mindshare (try making a list of all serious music
manipulating software on GNU/Linux that does _not_ offer at least an
export to LilyPond: you'll not find much).

--
David Kastrup