Re:Note names in Midi Note Numbers?

From: James Harkins
Subject: Re:Note names in Midi Note Numbers?
Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 08:28:35 +0800

> My favorite software was OpenMusic(an opensource composition tool by
> ircam), and I turned to Linux, so I had to find an alternative. I thought
> Lilypond is the one. If you know, please suggest me an alternative to
> OpenMusic on Linux. I think Lilypond can be an alternative to Finale(or
> Sibelius) and OpenMusic(or PWGL). Isn't it? I didn't have another choice on
> Linux to replace OpenMusic... At this reasons I wanna use Lilypond as
> composition tool...

They're quite different programs. I agree with the other posters. You're
barking up the wrong tree. Trying to force lilypond to be a different kind of
program is going to frustrate you, nothing else.

Maybe SuperCollider? In SC, you can:

- Specify pitch as MIDI note numbers (including 60.5, 60.25 etc.).
- Do any math at all on them.
- Represent musical events in a number of useful ways.
- Use "patterns" for concise, abstract representations of musical behavior
(including aleatory).
- more...

I think it's Bernardo Barros (who is on this list?) who was working on FOMUS
integration in SC, and I heard some mentions once upon a time of a
"LilyCollider" project, probably in early development, but could help connect
the SC stuff to lp notation.

hjh

--
James Harkins /// dewdrop world