Re: Thinking about putting together a grant to support development on Li

From: Nils
Subject: Re: Thinking about putting together a grant to support development on LilyPond
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2012 20:57:49 +0100

On Wed, 8 Feb 2012 19:24:08 +0000
Graham Percival <address@hidden> wrote:

> Depends on how international you want to go, how closely tied to
> music it needs to be, and how academic the people need to be.
> There's Peter Chubb in Australia; he worked on the robotic
> clarinet player.  My supervisor in the UK had a recent phd student
> who did stuff on a database for musicology, combining sensor
> readings with lilypond scores.  etc.

Don't choose musicologists from Germany then. They, in general, don't have a
clue about music theory. And if I understand it correctly this is about using
the lilypond format to generate and extract more information about the music
(from statistics to interpretation).

The reason is that musicology here has more to do with Biographics or
Sociology. Music instrument training, notation knowledge or other fundamentals
of music are not required to study or teach it (University Level) it in
Germany. Search instead for Music Theorists, which is a seperate thing here.
Often combined with historical composition, it is then called "Tonsatz".
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonsatz . No English translation.

I have only read half of this thread, but is it about finding people or
supporting the existent Lilypond Developers with money to do their regular
great work?

Nils