Re: Abbreviation for markup?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Abbreviation for markup?
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 01:06:53 +0100

Thomas Morley <address@hidden> writes:

> first of all I want to express my deepest impression about your and
> all the developers work. About the very little fraction I have insight
> I can say: it is a fabulous work, introducing nice new features and
> making all more consequent.
> Also, I followed the discussions about bounties, donations etc and I
> will participate to do something monetary, if there will be an
> established method.

We have established that it does not make sense to divert work setting
up generic channels when there is, at the current point of time, a
single taker and not even enough to go around to support him.

> Or contact you if I have a personally request to implement a feature I
> need.
>
> But I'm disappointed about your statements about experienced users.
> You're right, I'm quite sure I could have solved Helge's problem.
> But I decided to answer to Brent because he was first. The rest of the
> day I visited a good friend being in her very last period of lifetime
> at the hospital.
>
> So - very british - I'm not amuzed.

So - very British - let me point you to Oscar Wilde
<URL:http://www.eastoftheweb.com/short-stories/UBooks/DevFri.shtml> and
let me point out that since the time I have focused on LilyPond as main
work, my bank account dropped about €6000.  Since I am a rather
single-minded person, I'll probably let the total drop become about
10000 before I call it quits and turn to a different endeavor.

Users who are willing to think about "donating" €20 once they have spent
€200 in individual help and the effects of pulling developers into
endless discussions and aggravating them (Graham is not going to retire
because he can't stand to hear the whining of his computer's hard disk
any more) will not be turning the tide.  If the system is supposed to be
working at some point of time, there must be people who are willing to
put in more than they, as an individual, will be getting back.

Another developer who definitely was already very definitely putting
more in than he was, as an individual, receiving back, recently paid for
my laptop, a resource I need mainly for LilyPond development at the
current time.  I am very grateful for that and quite aware that his
engagement is exceptional.  Unfortunately, if it remains exceptional,
even when distributed among more shoulders, focused development of
LilyPond will return to haphazard at best.

And I don't think that any number of postings along the line "Dude, how
come you expect something from me?  I, as opposed to you freaks, have a
life." will really turn the balance to the better.

--
David Kastrup