Re: "counting-numbers" above bars called with \repeat unfold

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: "counting-numbers" above bars called with \repeat unfold
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2012 23:14:13 +0100

Hi David,

2012/1/22 David Nalesnik <address@hidden>:
> Hi Harm,
>
> On Sat, Jan 21, 2012 at 6:03 PM, Thomas Morley
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> I tried to print counting numbers above each bar called with the
>> \repeat unfold command, including the option to print the numbers
>> above the first note of the bar or to center them.
>> So far it works.
>

> Very nice!
>

>> But the placement of the numbers is not convincing in all cases.
>>
>> Any hint?
>

> I'm not sure exactly what you're referring to here as being unconvincing.
>  Inspecting your image, though, it appears that the numbers aren't well
> centered above the note heads where you want them to be.  This is most
> pronounced with the double-digit numbers.

that was one of the problems.

> If this is the problem you're seeing, you could use the snippet "Centering
> markup on note heads automatically": http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=637
>
> I've attached a file which incorporates this.  I changed a line in
> "list-helper" where the space you append to the number would throw this off.
>  I added the engraver to \Score here so it would affect the various contexts
> you're using.  (Would it be better to add it to \Staff and \DrumStaff
> individually?  I don't know.)
>
> Anyway, I hope this is what you're looking for!
>
> -David

thanks for integrating this!

The other problem: In bar 5 and 6 of Example 2 you may notice, that
the numbers are placed differently. According to the different space
between the used left-bound-grob (Clef or BarLine) and the first
NoteColumn.
To avoid this I changed the definition to use the first and last
NoteColumn of a measure as left/right bound.

I want to keep the appended space in "list-helper", so I added a
condition there: If I delete the space the numbers "drop down" in many
cases.
On the other hand, if the added space isn't enough they drop down
anyway, and I have to add a 'padding-override (Example 3, bar 20 ff).
I'm not sure what to do here, and I'm not even sure, if I should do
anything additionally.

Last I added the possibility to begin the count with another number than "1".

A little offtopic (might be worth another thread):
I noticed your engraver.
Learning how to programm my own scheme-engravers is top on my
wish-list. So I'm very interested to study all succesfull attempts.
(BTW Did you finish your box-engraver?) I found a little tutorial
here:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.15/Documentation/contributor-big-page#engraver-tutorial
This seems to be more for the work with C++ but I guess the principles
are equal. Do you know about others, more scheme-orientated?

Many thanks,
  Harm