Re: Horizontal spacing change between 2.15.9 and 2.15.10 (regression?)

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: Horizontal spacing change between 2.15.9 and 2.15.10 (regression?)
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2011 00:00:01 +0000 (UTC)

Xavier Scheuer <x.scheuer <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I have a passage with many 32th notes (and subdivide beams).  With
> 2.15.5 (as well as with 2.14.2) LilyPond settles 2 measures per line,
> but with 2.15.14 it puts only one measure per line and this measure is
> really stretched horizontally (whereas it was only "a bit compressed"
> when there were 2 measures per line), leading to a poor output.
>
> It is hard to give a minimal example of code.
> I tracked down this change and it happened between 2.15.9 and 2.15.10.

Xavier,
Possibly I did this.  Sometime in 2007, the space after a key-signature
or time-signature or clef became very compressible, because some spacing
parameters were no longer respected (issue 1785).  I restored the
enforcement of this space for version 2.15.9 with Janek's help to
adjust parameters so that scores looked nice.

A side effect of that fix was issue 1856: the space after time signatures
could now stretch, which made some highly-stretched regression tests
look different.  The fix to issue 1856 made the space at the beginning of
each line perfectly rigid, and appeared in 2.15.10.

Does the override below restore your scores?

\override Score.KeySignature #'space-alist #'first-note
 = #'(semi-fixed-space . 2.5)
\override Score.Clef #'space-alist #'first-note
 = #'(semi-fixed-space . 2.5)
\override Score.TimeSignature #'space-alist #'first-note
 = #'(semi-fixed-space . 2.0)