Re: best practices for divisi string writing

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: best practices for divisi string writing
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 04:54:29 +0000 (UTC)

Shevek <saul <at> saultobin.com> writes:

> One thing that I have had trouble figuring out, though,
> is the best way to do divisi string writing in Lilypond.

I find it awkward to split the music among variables, so I learned to use
the \tag system to mark different formatting options for part or score.

This means I don't completely separate content from presentation, but I'm
happier to have some presentation specifications stay close to the content
that required them.

violinI = R1*3

violinII = \new Voice { \relative c' {
  c4 d e f
  <<
    \new Voice {
      \tag#'score \voiceOne
      a r c d
    }
    \new Voice {
      \tag#'score \voiceTwo
      \tag#'part \change Staff = "second"
      f, g r b
    }
    \tag#'part \new Staff = "second" {
      \once \override Staff.TimeSignature #'stencil = ##f
    } % The contents of the Staff are also controlled by the tag

  c g e c
}}

\keepWithTag#'part \new GrandStaff { \violinII }
% GrandStaff draws a brace if the divisi lasts more than one line

\keepWithTag#'score \new StaffGroup <<
  \new Staff \violinI
  \new Staff \violinII