Re: best practices for divisi string writing

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: best practices for divisi string writing
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 15:27:30 +0200

On Sep 25, 2011, at 10:50 AM, Shevek wrote:

> I'm a composer that has been using Finale for around 10 years, but recently
> switched to Lilypond almost exclusively. The reasons for my switch are
> numerous, including that I run Linux, Lilypond's beautiful engraving, and
> the natural way Lilypond supports a variety of extended notations. I've been
> incredibly impressed by the ease of my transition from Finale (it probably
> helps that I am comfortable reading code), and I don't plan to go back any
> time soon.
>
> I've been able to figure out how to do most things I'd want to do
> "idiomatically" in Lilypond, thanks to the wonderful documentation. One
> thing that I have had trouble figuring out, though, is the best way to do
> divisi string writing in Lilypond. \partcombine with custom texts seems like
> a good option for simple divisi passages that alternate with unison, but
> when one part has rests, the rests disappear, when really they should
> display. There are a variety of techniques described in the documentation
> for ossia staves that could very easily be adapted for divisi staves, but
> I'm unclear as to which would be the best. Ideally, I'd like to separate
> content (the music expressions) from the presentation (whether the parts are
> displayed on one or multiple staves) as much as possible, so that I can
> reuse the content to generate parts. Parts and score, naturally, may need to
> present the divisi passages differently, with some notated in score on the
> same staff, but in separate staves in the part.
>
> I'd really appreciate any suggestions for how to do this.

Congrats on making the switch!  There are several composers on this list
(including me) that have followed a similar path and I don't think any of us
have ever switched back.

If I understand your question correctly, you are looking for :

(1) The best way to write a divisi that preserves the parts in their original
form (i.e. doesn't drop rests); and
(2) A way to do it that separates content from structure.

Here are two options:

\version "2.15.12"

preferatoryMatter = \relative c' { c d e f }
foo = \relative f' { a r c d }
bar = \relative f' { f g r b }

\new Staff { \preferatoryMatter << \foo \\ \bar >> }

\score {
  \new Staff = "mystaff" {
    \preferatoryMatter
    << \new Staff \with { alignAboveContext = "mystaff" } { \foo }  \bar >>

MS