Re: centering text on a measure

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: centering text on a measure
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2011 08:08:16 -0500

On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 3:09 AM, Trevor Daniels <address@hidden> wrote:

Perhaps you could turn this idea into a music function:

\relative c'' {
 a4 a a a |
 <<
  { a4 a a a | }
  {
    \once \override MultiMeasureRest #'transparent = ##t
     R1_"XIII" |
  }

 a4 a a a |
}

Thank you, Trevor.  This technique both centers the text item and takes it into account for spacing purposes.  I'm not sure how to make it work for the partial measure I put at the end of my example, though.  Also, it centers the text in the "usable" measure space -- after a time signature change, for example.  This is certainly a good thing!  However, I'd like to be able to center the text on the measure regardless of what's in it (or, by extension, center it between items of my choosing).  I'm hoping that there's a way to do this without relying on 'extra-offset, so that other grobs will move up to avoid collisions.  Is this possible?

David