RE: Changing to Gonville font

From: James Lowe
Subject: RE: Changing to Gonville font
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2011 11:27:28 +0000

Hello,

)-----Original Message-----
)From: address@hidden
)[mailto:address@hidden On
)Behalf Of Albert Frantz
)Sent: 02 August 2011 11:43
)To: address@hidden
)
)Hello,
)
)I solved the problem simply by copying emmentaler-brace.otf to the otf
)folder, and emmentaler- brace.svg and emmentaler-brace.woff to the
)svg folder.
)
)This means that the documentation should be updated to mention this
)addition.
)Also, "move" should be changed to "rename" in the documentation (since
)move in this case means "to place inside of"). This should assist future
)Lilypond users!

Well it does say on the Gonville Author's site that

--snip--

Gonville has been tested against Lilypond version 2.10.33 (the version shipped
in Debian 5.0), 2.12.2 and 2.13.5. It is possible that it will not work
properly with other versions, if the Lilypond developers choose to add new
glyphs or change the names under which they expect to find the existing ones. I
intend to try to keep Gonville up to date; if you find a problem with a later
version of Lilypond, let me know the details and I'll see what I can do.

There are a few parts of the standard Lilypond font which I have not attempted
to reproduce, so music using those features cannot be typeset in Gonville. The
missing elements are:

The longa note (twice as long as a breve). Unused in modern music.
Ancient music notation: any of Lilypond's non-default styles such as mensural,
neomensural, petrucci and so on.
The set of differently shaped note heads for each note of the scale (enabled
using shapeNoteStyles).

--snip--

So I'd go back to the author (he's a very friendly chap - and also reads these
lists) and see if he can put /add this in to his font.

Until this becomes part of the 'official' Lilypond code base then I don't think
we can be expected to keep and document every nuance of every difference of
every glyph that might need to be copied over.

We do have this email as a record but I don't see this as a LilyPond problem as
such.

I'm happy to look at the instructions we give in the documentation about
changing the font in general, but it wasn't clear (to me) what you thought we
should change.

James