RE: Cues + ties/LV

From: James Lowe
Subject: RE: Cues + ties/LV
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2011 10:43:11 +0000

Hello,

)-----Original Message-----
)From: address@hidden
)[mailto:address@hidden On
)Behalf Of James Harkins
)Sent: 07 July 2011 04:43
)To: lily-users
)Subject: Cues + ties/LV
)
)Was just playing around with cues, and got it mostly figured out (thanks to
)the great documentation). But I'm stuck on one point --
)
)In the bit pasted below my signature, if I were writing this by hand, I
)would add a \laissezVibrer tie to the last note of the cue, but omit the
)note at the other end of the tie. But I need a real tie in the part that really
)"owns" the notes.
)
)For fun, I tried taking out the tie and putting \laissezVibrer inside the cue.
)Lilypond doesn't draw the LV in the \cueDuring section. So, even if I do
)something like this --
)
)sheng = \relative c'' {
)  \cueDuring #"eQuintCue" #UP { R1 }
)  d16 a d e a4 r2
)}
)
)\addQuote "eQuintCue" { \relative c'' {
)  r2 \times 4/5 { d8 a d e a \laissezVibrer } } }
)
)% These notes will go in the full score, not the part % I'm copying the
)notes from eQuintCue but replacing \laissezVibrer with ~ elec = \relative
)c'' {
)  r2 \times 4/5 { d8 a d e a~ } a1
)}
)
)-- the "elec" part in the score looks good, but no LV in the cue part.
)
)
)Maybe a bug? If so, maybe this will serve as a tiny example...?
)
)\addQuote "q" { \relative c'' { c4 \laissezVibrer } } \relative c'' {
\cueDuring
)#"q" #UP { s4 } a4 \laissezVibrer }
)

[James' reply:] Well as in the documentation

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.14/Documentation/notation/writing-parts#formatting-cue-notes

You can explicitly state which 'events' (slurs, ties etc) you want in the cue
part

\set Score.quotedCueEventTypes = #'(....your event here ...)

I know (as I revamped this entire section very recently) that there are
potentially more event types that could be included than is listed here,
however without trying them all manually myself, I am not sure which ones
*don't* work.

So perhaps (and someone who knows the function calls more intimately than I)
can say that \laissezVibrer can be turned on by using XXX-event?

I'm sorry I cannot be more specific than that, but my knowledge on how the
internals works is relatively limited, but if you do understand them maybe you
can find the correct event type to use.

There are some limitations with Cue Notes that I have never been able to
resolve - for example while you can print slurs and ties you cannot specify the
direction within the cue so often depending on whether you use {UP} or {DOWN}
your slurs will be the 'wrong' way round. But as I say I don't know if that is
my lack of knowledge or a limitation of the software. My point being that
\laissezVibrer may be in this kind of case.

James