Re: [OT] Vivi, the Virtual Violinist, plays LilyPond music

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [OT] Vivi, the Virtual Violinist, plays LilyPond music
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 11:23:13 +0100

> Pop music (and thus a lot of Vocaloid stuff) gets a bad rap for
> using the I IV V I chord progression a lot, but I don't see that
> amount of predictability to be any worse than classical music's
> predictability of beat strength in 4/4 time
> (strong-weak-medium-weak).

You mean, halfwit performers' predictability.  Things like hemioles,
stretto, syncopation, augmentation and a lot of other elements you'll
find in classic composition don't work with hard-wired beat
predictability.  In fact, Renaissance music is hampered so much by
"predictability" in beat strength that one usually does not place bars
in the systems, one reason being that one can omit the use of ties
across bars which distort note coherency.

Modern notation uses ties pretty much for every note crossing a
minuscule "beat".  I'll not be surprised all too much when I start
seeing c4 c4~ c4 c4 instead of c4 c2 c4.

It's for the sake of polished-white-teeth-smile-snarling mothers
accompanying their violin playing kids with a robust, dependable,
supportive accompaniment that renders music school presentations even
less enj...  Uhm.  You get my drift.  Be glad if you don't.

Check out something like Dowland's "White as Lilies was her face".  If
all four voices try adhering to "beat strength", you get a rigid mess
instead of the playful interchange composed into it.

--
David Kastrup