Resetting bar count and showing alternate fingering

From: Javier Ruiz-Alma
Subject: Resetting bar count and showing alternate fingering
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2011 03:17:37 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,
I'm typesetting a set of piano fingering exercises from 1800's.
These are a series of single-hand fingering phrases set on a single staff.
Although not stated, most longer phrases have bars for 4/4 timing.
However, many of the phrases don't amount to a complete measure, or the exercise may have several bars but end without a full bar's worth of notes.
The author doesn't bother with rests to complete the bar.  He just adds an end-bar (which I'm currently just typesetting with \bar "|."), and begins the next exercise.
The next phrase is, in itself, a new piece...the only thing that seems to prevail is the clef.
The issue I have is that just adding [\bar "|."] doesn't reset lilypond's automatic bar generator.  When I begin the next exercise, I'm getting the automatic bar as soon as I enter enough notes to complete previous (incomplete) bar.

Is there a way to trigger lilypond to arbitrarily reset its bar counter mid-staff?
If not, I suspect I'll have to correct this by entering rests and somehow hide them from showing up on the staff if I want to match the original typesetted bars.

I'm also in need of a solution to show alternate fingering.   On some phrases, notes will show a set of alternate fingering digits stacked vertically.  The student is to repeat the phrase using the upper vs. lower set of fingerings.  I can't seem to find any documentation to allow me to typeset these stacked digits in lilypond.

Image attached

Thanks so much for your advice.

Javier Ruiz
address@hidden