Transposing chords

From: John Donovan
Subject: Transposing chords
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 22:24:53 +0000 (UTC)

Hi,
As part of a teaching aid, I have the C major scale and the seven main chords
that I then want to transpose to other keys.
The code I have so far works well, but I'm having difficulty getting Lilypond
keep the transposed chords in the right range. For instance, in C major the
first two chords I have are C and F, with the F chord higher than the C. But
when it is transposed to G major, the G chord is in the right range, but the C
goes up to the next octave instead of down. I understand this is standard
Lilypond behaviour, but is there any way of overriding it? I've tried \relative
commands in various places but to no avail. A minimal example of what I have is
here:

\version "2.12.3"

thechords = \chordmode {
   c2 f
}

scale = \relative c' {
  \clef treble
  \key c \major
  \time 4/4
  c4 d e f g a b c \chordmode {\thechords}
}

\score {
    \new Staff {
      \scale
      \transpose c g {\scale}

\layout{ }

What I want is the last C chord to be the same as the first. Is this possible?
did think about writing each chord sequence manually but that sort of defeats
the point...

-John