Re: [OT] Vivi, the Virtual Violinist, plays LilyPond music

From: Dmytro O. Redchuk
Subject: Re: [OT] Vivi, the Virtual Violinist, plays LilyPond music
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 13:09:10 +0200

On Fri 18 Mar 2011, 10:44 Graham Percival wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 10:14:48AM +0200, Dmytro O. Redchuk wrote:
> > On Thu 17 Mar 2011, 18:08 Kieren MacMillan wrote:
> > > Unfortunately, "lower barrier of entry" almost always means "more crap to
> > > sift through".
> > The more crap -- the lower criteria barrier for "what is `crap'?".
> > The more crap will become "normal" and even "good thing".
>
> Has that happened with books?  Have stories become total crap over
> the past 10/50/200 years?
:-)

I don't know. We can't measure this. Do we have the same "sensitivity" as our
grandfathers?

> I mean, (almost) everybody [in certain countries] can write text.
> 500 years ago, only priests and the very rich could read and
> write.  10 years ago, (almost) everybody [in certain countries]
> has access to computers and the internet.  With computers in
> public libraries, if not their own homes.
Good example! And (almost) everybody makes a huge amount of "mistakes"
(which are not considered as mistakes by those who makes them, of course),
which (mistakes) change language(s) (almost) completely!

 ;O)

Ze drem vil finali kum tru!

(sorry for my English though)

> Does the amount of webfiction (including fanfics and original
> material) available on the internet mean that we can no longer
> distinguish between good writing and bad writing?  I don't think
> so.
Can we measure?

Yes, we can distinguish between (relatively) "good" and (relatively) "bad".
But can we measure this, indeed? Can we be sure, that our "good" literature is
"as good as" our grandfather's "good literature"? And the same for "our bad"?

We can't.

> But there's essentially no barrier to entry -- you can get a
> free blogspot or something account, and start posting your stories
> immediately.
And i believe that lowering the barrier makes us believe that "our good
literature" is "as good as"... but it actually isn't.

Augean stables. Everything smells quite good.

.O) yes, i agree, we can't measure. This is my "assumption" only.

--
  Dmytro O. Redchuk
  Bug Squad