Re: [OT] Vivi, the Virtual Violinist, plays LilyPond music

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: [OT] Vivi, the Virtual Violinist, plays LilyPond music
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 10:44:58 +0000

On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 10:14:48AM +0200, Dmytro O. Redchuk wrote:
> On Thu 17 Mar 2011, 18:08 Kieren MacMillan wrote:
> > Unfortunately, "lower barrier of entry" almost always means "more crap to
> > sift through".
> The more crap -- the lower criteria barrier for "what is `crap'?".
> The more crap will become "normal" and even "good thing".

Has that happened with books?  Have stories become total crap over
the past 10/50/200 years?

I mean, (almost) everybody [in certain countries] can write text.
500 years ago, only priests and the very rich could read and
write.  10 years ago, (almost) everybody [in certain countries]
has access to computers and the internet.  With computers in
public libraries, if not their own homes.

Does the amount of webfiction (including fanfics and original
material) available on the internet mean that we can no longer
distinguish between good writing and bad writing?  I don't think
so.  But there's essentially no barrier to entry -- you can get a
free blogspot or something account, and start posting your stories
immediately.

Cheers,
- Graham