Re: please help a newbie with partial measures

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: please help a newbie with partial measures
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2010 11:20:31 -0600

On 8/14/10 10:20 AM, "Rose Mawhorter" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Maybe I spoke too soon. I've got the bar lines in the correct places now BUT
> the compiler rejects my slurs. Surely there must be a better way of doing
> this!
> Thanks again.

I've attached a working version of this file (I compiled it under 2.13.30,
but I don't think I've used any special features of this version that will
keep it from working with your version).

BTW, why are you using version 2.8.0?  You should be using 2.12.3, at least.

Anyway, you have a couple of problems in your code:

1. [ ] does not make slurs, it makes beams (which make no sense on a half
note, but a beam does keep two notes for one syllable in the lyrics).  I've
changed to  ( ) to fix your slurs.

2. | by itself does not *create* a bar line.  It just causes the compiler to
check and see if your music is at a bar line already and issue a warning if
it's not.  So you want | instead of \bar "|" at every location where a bar
line is at the end of  a musical measure.  The extra bar lines for the end
of lyric phrases should be created with \bar "|".

3.  You may want to use a thick barline for the "lyric" bar lines. (That's
what is in the scan you linked to). This is added with \bar "." instead of
\bar "|".

HTH,

Carl