Re: fyi - https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuFreeCultureShowcase

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: fyi - https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuFreeCultureShowcase
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 16:00:47 +0200

Op donderdag 24-06-2010 om 14:42 uur [tijdzone +0100], schreef Graham
Percival:

> What, like:
>   http://lilypond.org/website/productions.html
> ?  it's in the maoing introduction.

Yeah, what about it?  I see no .ly's or pictures.
AFAICS, Affaire étrangère is the "only" new composition
mentioned -- and this is not mentioned/advertised?

I'm not sure if claop.py would qualify but there must
be more ``modern compositions proudly engaved with lilypond''
that would want/allow to be listed in such a category (Darius,
Trevor Baca, Orm come to mind?)

> > PPS: wouldn't it be nice if we had so many great composers
> >     in our userbase that we could stage a composition
> >     contest with a major release?
>
> err... offering up money?  We can't exactly promise everlasting fame.

Ubuntu is offering everlasting fame, why can't we?

> OpenBSD has a "release song".  I suppose we could have a "release
> piece", but who would do the judging, how many people would actually
> submit anything, is it worth telling all but one of those submissions
> that they lost the contest, etc?

A release piece would be a nice start -- it would have no losers or
runners-up of the contest anyway...

Jan.