system-count forced in the middle of a movement?

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: system-count forced in the middle of a movement?
Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 11:53:00 -0400

Hi all,

Can anyone think of a way to (easily/automagically) force a desired system-count within a certain section of a score, without resorting to manual breaks?

For example, let's say in the middle of my string quartet I have a fugal section (not a separate movement!) that I think fits nicely on 9 systems -- I would love to force Lilypond to set that section according to the fixed system count, but use automatic spacing to flow the rest of the movement (i.e., before and after the section in question) around that 9-system chunk.

Any hints/ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Kieren.