Re: horizontal alignment suggestions

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: horizontal alignment suggestions
Date: Sun, 3 May 2009 12:13:32 -0400

Hi James,

Perhaps it's just my inability to explain what I want.
I'd like to have the two systems centered on the page, regardless of what the instrumentName is.

Ah... well, the best I can do right now is this (manual) workaround:

\version "2.12.2"

\paper { line-width = 8.5\in indent = 0 }
\layout { \context { \Staff \override InstrumentName #'X-extent = #'(0 . 0) } }
music = \relative { a4 g a f  }

\markup \fill-line { \score { \new Staff \music \layout {} } }
\markup \fill-line { \score { \new Staff \with { instrumentName = \markup \translate #'(-16 . 0 ) "MyInstrument" } \music \layout {} } }

I tried various alignment properties/settings, but didn't find any that solved your issue. There's likely a way to make a Scheme function which automatically \translate-s the text the correct amount, but I don't have time to investigate it.

Hope this helps!
Kieren.