Re: Persian musical koron and sori

From: Kees van den Doel
Subject: Re: Persian musical koron and sori
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 14:14:53 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: Hans Aberg <address@hidden>
Date: Monday, February 16, 2009 1:52 pm
To: Kees van den Doel <address@hidden>
Cc: Behnam Rassi <address@hidden>, Graham Breed <address@hidden>, lilypond
<address@hidden>

> On 16 Feb 2009, at 21:43, Kees van den Doel wrote:
>
> > > Might you give some examples of this (which written notes)?
> >
> > E.g., D Ep F (F 20 cent flat, so actually D Ep and Ep F are
> the same
> > interval)
>
> If the musical function or intent is that these intervals should
> be
> equal, then the note is F#pp, that is, a double koron.

Cute, I never thought of that! However it does't quite work because  the
*approximate* 20C fat
is independent of the koron (which is *approximately* 40C).  So the equation
'>' = "#p' is an exact constraint.

Anyways the 20C flat note is not considered an accidental, not notated,
inconsistently used, and
irrelevant for notation.

 One has
> (in any
> tuning) F#pp - Ep = F#p - E = F> - E = n, where n is the
> neutral
> second that Farhat uses, the same as Ep - D, then.

> On the other hand, if it is lowered an unspecified amount, then
> when
> transposed, you will need another symbol that raises an interval
> so
> that the sum is M-m.

If you look at the persian.ly file I sent, you will find the symbol for that I
think (a blank).

Kees