Re: Good luck, Valentin

From: Jonathan Kulp
Subject: Re: Good luck, Valentin
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2009 09:04:37 -0600

Trevor Daniels wrote:

Valentin Villenave wrote Monday, February 02, 2009 10:49 PM

Greetings everybody,

Hi Valentin

Wow!  This is a major work!  It must be the largest LilyPond score
ever!  I compiled the full score last night to peruse, and it looks
awesome.   The pdf file is 6.65 Mb!

I haven't yet been able to look at it musically, but I thought I'd let you
know that it can be downloaded easily from your git site (although
you need to be git-aware to do this), and compiled under Vista.

I had to change only the \includes in main.ly from
\include "./foo/bar.ly"   to  \include "foo/bar.ly"

but otherwise it worked first time out of the box.  There are a few
warnings, mainly about beam slopes and between-system-padding,
nothing serious.

It took quite a time to compile on my 2Gb laptop, partly because I
inadvertently started two compiles of the full score simultaneously (I now realise!), which caused quite a bit of paging, as you might
imagine.  It should compile much faster on a 4Gb machine, or one
at a time!

Success! The full score compiled in 3 hours, 6 minutes. Ubuntu 8.04, 2GB RAM, and some kind of Intel dual-core processor. It's a beautiful score, Valentin. Do you think this work would be appropriate for college students to perform? We have a pretty decent bunch of singers here and they do a production every year. Maybe I'll pitch it to the director. They like comedies.

Congrats again and thanks for sharing with us. :)

Jon

--
Jonathan Kulp
http://www.jonathankulp.com