Re: phrasing slur continued through a repeat?

From: Robin Bannister
Subject: Re: phrasing slur continued through a repeat?
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 15:12:08 +0100

Ed Ravin wrote:
I'm guessing the silent rest somehow makes the grace note silent?

I wanted a rest (for silence). If you say just "r32", lilypond gives you silence OK, but also does the vertical positioning automatically, so you can't adjust the slur any more.
\rest lets you do the vertical positioning yourself:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.12/Documentation/user/lilypond/Writing-rests#Rests
And \grace just squashes everything up; not just notes, but rests too. Omitting those spaces isn't primarily a shortcut, more an idiom for a common readability style. Most of the snippets are done like that.

Cheers,
Robin