Re: GDP: NR 1.5 Simultaneous, second draft

From: Francisco Vila
Subject: Re: GDP: NR 1.5 Simultaneous, second draft
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 12:17:37 +0200

2008/7/18 Karl Hammar <address@hidden>:
> In vocal music, one wants to relate text with music using \lyricsto.
> That is harder if you create new voices, which makes that coupling
> harder to see and maintain.

This could be explained in Vocal Music, but I think that in NR1.5
Simultaneous the more general the better.

> My way of handling these problems is to always explicitly name any new
> voice I use and letting the "main thread of music" belong to the same
> voice throughout. Not making new a new voice makes my typesetting
> easier.

Do not forget my questions about what voice numbers get these new voices.

> So, it becomes:
>  Which way of creating the second voice and handling problems like
>  the above is most easily explained and understood by users?
>  Which one should go into NR 1.5?

The examples in the chapter speak by themselves, the simplest method
is completely valid for complex polyphony.

I could start explaining how to add a second voice (being the first
the same as surrounding music), then expose the most commonly used
construction as a short for this, even if it creates two voices.

Complete Bach's pieces have been typeset using only a big <<{ }  \\  {
}  \\  { }>> without problems. Tips for vocal music have their own
chapter. What do you think?

--
Francisco Vila. Badajoz (Spain)
http://www.paconet.org