Chord Charts - rhythm and chords

From: cpgray
Subject: Chord Charts - rhythm and chords
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 10:30:25 -0700 (PDT)

Warning: LilyPond Newbie

I'm trying out LilyPond to see if there is a way to do chord charts in the
fashion illustrated in the wikipedia article on "Chord Charts".  The image
there illustrates what I'm looking for:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Chord_chart.jpg

In other words, music staff with key signature, chord symbols above and
slash note heads in the middle of the staff.  Standard additions like ties,
staccato, and up bow and down bow (for direction of guitar strums) should be
possible.  Nice-to-haves, but not essentials, would be guitar chord diagrams
and transposition.  Midi is irrelevant since the exact notes are not
indicated anyway.

I've found several elements of this in the documentation but not yet how to
put it all together.

Below is my experiment, but specifying b to get the position will run afoul
of chord symbols.

\new Staff \with {
  \consists Pitch_squash_engraver
} \relative c'' {
  \improvisationOn
  b r8 b8 b4 b
  b8 r8 b8 b4 b b
  b4 b8 r8 b8 b4 b
  b4 r8 b8 r2
  \improvisationOff

As an aside or mini rant, I've found it frustratingly difficult to find any
software that does chord charts in a relatively straightforward way.  After
all, it's meant to be a simple notation.  This notation is all over books on
rhythm guitar, so there must be a way of doing it, but I've had a hard time
finding anything.

Thanks,
Chris