Re: Shortcut for epeated chords?

From: Christ van Willegen
Subject: Re: Shortcut for epeated chords?
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 13:06:14 +0100

Hi,

On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 11:14 PM, Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:
> > e.g. if I assume x means 'the last notes', I could write the above
>  > as,
>  >
>  >    <c e g>8 x16 x x4 x16 x8 x16
>
>  Actually, I like an `x' even more than `<>'.
>
>  I can't see an immediate problem from the syntax side.  Whether it's
>  easy to implement I don't know.  Han-Wen?

What I've always found 'strange' about Lilypond is that you can leave
off the length of a note (or rest) if it's the same as the previous
length, but that you cannot leave off the note if it's the same as the
previous one!

Now, we write 'a4 a a a' to get 4 a's of the same length (in 4/4
time), and 'a4 b c d' to get those notes of the same length.

Writing 'a4 8 8 4 4' to get a measure of a's with diferent lengths
also looks natural to me. Ofcourse, there isn't a way to write 'a4 8
4  ' to get this same measure (note the double space, meaning I left
the note _and_ the length out :-) ), but still, I guess it would fit
nicely in the '<c e g>4 4 8 8 4' scheme of things...

Just my two cents

Christ van Willegen
--
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0