Re: Lilypond fonts in Latex

From: Stuart Pullinger
Subject: Re: Lilypond fonts in Latex
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 15:50:07 +0100

I'm afraid I gave up trying to install the feta fonts the (La)TeX way -
I found it too confusing. Instead I have installed TeXLive 2007 (I was
using TeTeX - the default for Gentoo GNU/Linux) and I am using
the Emmentaler font with XeLaTeX - it can use system fonts.

Here's how:

I installed the Emmentaler opentype fonts using the KDE Control Centre:
System Administration -> Font Installer, click on Administrator mode to
install system-wide. Click "Add Font" and select all the
Emmentaler fonts from /usr/share/lilypond/{version}/fonts/otf/.

In the preamble to my LaTeX document I use:

\usepackage{fontspec}
\usepackage{xunicode}
\usepackage{xltxtra}

The second and third packages are optional (I think). Then I can define
a couple of commands:

\newcommand{\lilyfont}[2]{{\fontspec{Emmentaler
#1}\XeTeXglyph\XeTeXglyphindex"#2"}}

\newcommand{\doublesharp}{{\raisebox{0.5\totalheight}{\lilyfont{11}{"accidentals.4"}}}}

I can then use the commands in the document thus:

Here is the double sharp glyph on the baseline
\lilyfont{11}{"accidentals.4"} and here is the double sharp glyph
raised a little \doublesharp.

(Most users will probably want to raise the glyphs so that they look
better alongside text).

I hope someone finds this useful.

Thanks,
Stuart