RE: lilypond and editors

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: RE: lilypond and editors
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2006 17:38:57 -0000

Me too.  I tried them both.  ConText and the Lily
highlighter worked fine straight out of the box (although I
needed to make it case sensitive to correctly pick up the
keywords) and I find it suits my style of working very
well - usually with lots of files open; I failed to get
jEdit to work even half right under MS XP and I've now
deleted it.

Trevor

> Geoff Horton wrote:
> >
> >> Often one can gain productivity by fitting his
> way of work to the editor
> >> :-)
> >>
> >> Bert
> >
> > Sometimes, yes. Often ... I don't know about
> that, and I'm not really
> > a fan of the idea. Tools exist for me; I don't
> exist for tools.
> >
> > I don't mean to discourage anyone from trying
> jEdit. I did. I prefer
> > something else. YMMV :)
> >
> > Geoff

> On Windows XP I gave jEdit a try, then I switched
> to Context.  The main
> issues I had with jEdit on Windows is that it
> would not install unless I
> went to IBM or SUN microsystems web site to
> install some other stuff first
> as I recall.  Then forums suggested I needed
> something called cygwin, big
> mistake there, after I installed that my machine
> was never the same, more
> sluggish.  After I got jEdit finally working it
> kept locking up whenever I
> tried to open too many files simultaneously.
> Also if I opened a text file
> that was over say 2 meg or so, it would try to
> parse ending brackets for the
> WHOLE file, instead of just showing me the page I
> was on, and it typically
> took about 5 minutes to open these large files
> and 15 seconds for the
> PageUp/Down keys to work.  With Context I've had
> several dozen files open
> simultaneously in its tabbed folders and my large
> files also open
> immediately.  But I'm not sure of the future of
> Context either because it's
> author only makes updates once a year or so, but
> for now I'm productive with
> it.
>
> jEdit had a lot going for it functionality-wise,
> but it needs some work
> performance-wise and installation-wise for
> Windows machines from my
> experiences, maybe others like it on Windows but
> for me it did not work out.
> I think it sould be changed to install all of
> it's own dependencies itself,
> so at least users can begin using it immediately.
>

> --
Nabble.com.