Re: Specify Multiple Properties ?

From: Steve D
Subject: Re: Specify Multiple Properties ?
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 06:50:13 -0700

Steve D had asked if there were any way in LilyPond to specify or set
multiple properties for a single object in one command. Mats Bengtsson
responded:

On Wed, Mar 22, 2006 at 08:25:37PM +0100, Mats Bengtsson wrote:
> What would you gain from it? If you want to do the same
> group of settings a number of times in the score, just
> make a macro:
>
> set_rit = {
> \override TextSpanner #'edge-text = #'("rit. " . "")
> \override TextSpanner #'padding = #1.5
> }
>
>   /Mats

Hello Mats-- Overnight I did think of one instance where setting
multiple properties for a single object, using just one command, would
be nice.  Using LilyPond's new functionality to allow manual formatting
for individual ties (thank you, Han-Wen!), it would be nice, instead of
this--

  \once \override Tie #'staff-position = #-5.5
  \once \override Tie #'direction = #1
    c'4 ~ c'

--if one could write something like this (I'm not a programmer, so pardon
the naive construction ;-)--

  \once \override Tie #'(('staff-position = -5.5) ('direction = 1))
    c'4 ~ c'

In this case, the ability to specify multiple properties and values for
a single object, all at the same time, would be better than writing a
macro as you suggested, because in this manual formatting the values for
the properties would change throughout the musical score where ties were
each individually formatted.

Once again, thanks for all the wonderful help, comments and advice you
offer to LilyPond users.

Best wishes,

Steve
New Mexico, US