Re: Half open hihat symbol

From: Pete Stieber
Subject: Re: Half open hihat symbol
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 08:44:18 -0800

PS = Pete Stieber
PS>> I'm used to a symbol in drum set notation for a half open hi-hat
PS>> that I can't seem to find in lilypond. It consists of the symbol
PS>> used to indicate an open hi-hat (scripts.open ?) with a hyphen
PS>> through it.

GP = Graham Percival
GP> You could probably create this symbol using the \combine
GP> markup command.  See 8.1.6 Overview of text markup
GP> commands.  I don't know if an actual text hyphen would
GP> be long enough, though... then again, I suppose you could
GP> use a fancy utf-8 longer  hyphen.

Thanks Graham,

Following your suggestion I used

#(define mydrums '(
  .
  .
  .
  (halfopenhihat  cross  #f     4)))

and

hhho^\markup {\combine o -}

where the hyphen is a UTF-8 version, but I still have a few questions...

1. The small o I used is not quite the same as the "open" symbol. Is there
some way for me to replace the small o with the "open" symbol.
2. The UTF-8 hyphen isn't quite centered with respect to the o. Is there a
way to "center justify" each of them?
3. And finally, is there a way to include this in my halfopenhihat
definition? I tried

  (halfopenhihat  cross  \markup {\combine o -}    4)

but it didn't work and I'm sure I do not understand the syntax.

TIA,
Pete