Re: User Experience Engineering

From: Joshua Koo
Subject: Re: User Experience Engineering
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 22:56:01 +0800

>> AFAIK, no java environment ships with windows, so if you want it to work
>> out-of-the-box, then, yes you would need to include java in the download.
There used to be a Microsoft JVM, but that's history.

>There does (or did?) but outdated and stripped (enough that some java
>applets work... But the Java tree component wasn't included some years
>ago.. ;) So JRE from sun is needed to work properly AFAIK.
>I was thinking of the effort to moving jEdit to JRE 1.5.. That did brake
>some apps on gentoo linux and some plugins in jEdit AFAIK.

I dont really get that.. If you upgrade your JRE to 1.5, old applications
shouldnt break... unless your old JREs are not removed nicely. But if the
application (like lilytool) is compiled using Java 5, then there might be
problems running with older java VMs.

>So I'm not sure wether it would be a nice idea providing JRE 1.5,
>lilypond, jEdit, lil4jedit in one installer..
>This installer should contain JRE installer and launch it
>automatically.. and do the same with jEdit? and contain a readme on how
>to upgrade things manually (see jEdit plugins and so on..)
>
>Anyway, would anyone be interested?? If there are a couple of people I
>can try putting some effort into this task.. But as as noone is
>complaining.. ;-)

I think its a great idea! It reminds me of XAMPP
http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html (Apache + MySQL, PHP and Perl ++ ...
on win/*nix/mac/solaris)

Thinking of a packaging, there's a rough idea of what to include and their
sizes.

JRE 5 = ~7.1 - 20 MB
lilypond = ~10MB
jEdit = ~2MB
lilyTool = ~1MB
LilyJHelp= ~15MB
Overheads = ~??MB

Total = ~ 50MB

I support this idea, hopfully it can become a 1 step installation to a
"complete" music typesetting package.

As for free open source installers, maybe IzPack Java Software
http://www.izforge.com/ could be used,.

>Happy New not much grown up yet year !
>
>Marc

Wishing you all the best for this year too!

Joshua