Re: 2.6: Please don't take my Cygwin away

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: 2.6: Please don't take my Cygwin away
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 14:46:36 +0200

Colin Wilding writes:

> I've tried the Windows version, and I am sure some people will like
> it, but it's not for me:

That's fine.  Native Windows version is not primarily targetted at
Cygwin users.

> 1. There seems so be no feedback at the command line. If I am updating an
> existing file then the only way I can tell whether a run has completed is by
> watching Explorer to see when the time stamps are updated.
> 2. I can't find a way to run the .exe at the command line that will display
> help, e.g. a list of options.
> 3. If a run fails the report does not display on the command line, only via
> the log file opening in Lilypad.

See

    http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-lilypond/2005-06/msg00299.html

> 4. convert-ly is still in Python so I have to run that in Cygwin anyway.

See

    http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2005-06/msg00625.html

> 5. I generally run Lilypond from jEdit and I'm not sure if I can get jEdit
> to run the native version.

See the mail archives, I think this is solved.

> 6. I use LaTeX on Cygwin and I want to integrate Lilypond files using
> lilypond-book
> 7. The native version seems to use the Windows fonts, rather than the Cygwin
> fonts

Cygwin is not required for the native Windows version, that is the
whole idea.

> that I use on LaTeX (in fact I have no idea how Pango relates to the
> Windows fonts)

> 8. bash is far superior to the Windows command line.

The mandatory bash command line interface, the required knowlegde of
TeX, and the too difficult/error prone installation methods were the
biggest problems for wider acception of Lilypond.

Also, GNU/Linux is far superior to Windows+Cygwin.

Greetings,
Jan.