Re: Autopackage: Install Fails

From: Gilles
Subject: Re: Autopackage: Install Fails
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 17:40:15 +0200

> What does
>
>     package --version
>
> say?

$ package --version
autopackage 1.0.4, (c) 2002-2005 the autopackage developers

> Can you try installing as a normal user (not as root?).

Here you are:

$ bash lilypond-2.6.0.x86.package
/dev/shm/autopackage.44856229/meta/@lilypond.org/lilypond:2.6.0/apkg-installer:
line 1116: /usr/libexec/autopackage/autosu-gtk: No such file or directory

:-?

> What distribution do you run?  I expect lilypond 2.6 to be in Debian rsn.

Debian testing/unstable on AMD64.

So, you didn't drop support for the Debian package management system?

I would tend to think that these "autopackage"s should be a last resort, in case
no distribution-specific package is available which a priori should deal better
with the distribution idiosyncrasies and policies than a tool that bypasses,
mimics
or just ignores it. Afterall, the main purpose (from the user's viewpoint) of a
distribution is to install software.

Best,
Gilles