Dynamics too far below, Piano+song based Template

From: dax2
Subject: Dynamics too far below, Piano+song based Template
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 14:26:35 +0200

   Dear Friends,

   I have so far only done 5 or 6 pieces in Lilypond notation. I
am very fond of the results. In my new project there is a challenge:

   Ped-marks come too far below the lower staff, if I use a
separate dynamic-Staff.

   I missed templates for piano-quartet/trio.

   I used the "Song" or "lied" template after realizing that the
beautiful "Mutopia-project" piano-trio by Mozart in E-flat was
written with a Lilypond notation which goes longer back than the
first of my Lilypond-versions! Ugh!

   I use 2.5.0 (or 2.4.0) and it works nicely.

   My new template and 2.4 can do "Ped" marks without separate
middle/lower dynamic staff, just doing \sustainDown works.
However, the smart PianoTemplate solution allows markings to be
placed precisely where you want them using space-rests s2 s16. The
technique is to have an extra (virtual) Staff<<>> for Dynamics,
like this:

        [...]
    \context Dynamics = "PedMarks" <<
          \lowerDynamics

%%  \new has been replaced by \context in 2.4.x

So I added the necessary tweaks cut-and-paste from an older
"piano-template", and it works BUT:

The ped-marks come too far below the lower staff.

The "black magic" tweaks are given here:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.4/Documentation/user/out-www/lilypond/lily-927257492.ly
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.4/Documentation/user/out-www/lilypond/Piano-templates.html#Piano-templates

I updated them using convert-ly, not much was changed though.
====-====-====-====-====-====-====-====-====-====-====-====-====-====-====-====-

The warning I get is not the real problem:

Full example http://d-axel.dk/pub/music/start/bk4-pedwarn.*:

Now processing `bk4-pedwarn.ly'
Parsing...
Interpreting music... warning: Cannot find or create `Dynamics' called `pedal'
[8][16][24][32][40][41]

[...]

====-====-====-====-====-====-====-====-====-====-====-====-====-====-====-====-

But this is not the real challenge; the problem is that the
distance between the lower staff and the dynamic mark has grown
out of proportion.

You can find the full pdf-file and sources here:
http://d-axel.dk/pub/music/start/bk4-pedwarn.pdf

POSTSCRIPTUM:

I will try to study more intensively on "Gray Nereides" and
examples from Mutopiaproject. One of the most fascinating is
the Chopin etude op.25-1. This is brilliant work, and I feel
stupid when I read the source. How did he find out?

Well, I better read the docs thoroughly, I have skipped too
many parts. However, are there any hints for a reader, then I
will be glad. I am impressed how much Mats Bengtsson helps
all of us people here on the list.

Thank you for any hint, and regards from

Donald

--
dax2-tele2adsl:dk -- http://d-axel.dk/  Donald Axel