Re: Barbershop Quartet / TTBB template ready for your critique

From: Arvid Grøtting
Subject: Re: Barbershop Quartet / TTBB template ready for your critique
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 11:09:00 +0200

Arvid Grøtting <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm afraid it's at home and I'm at work at the moment; I'll try to
> remember posting it, but please remind me if I seem to have forgotten,
> OK?

Here it is.  Not quite perfect yet, I'm afraid.

-=-=-=->8 cut here
\version "2.2.0"
\header {
    title = "TTBB"
    composer = ""
    poet = ""
    meter = ""
    dedication = ""
    copyright = ""
    tagline = ""
    texidoc = "
 Four-part (TTBB) vocal score.
"
}

global = \notes {
    \key c \major
    \time 4/4
}

markups = \notes {
    s4\mf
}

brk = \notes { \break }

tiMusic = \notes  \relative c' {
    e4 f d e
}
tiWords = \lyrics { \skip 4*2 hi hi  }

tiiMusic = \notes  \relative c' {
    c4 c c8[( b)] c4
}
tiiWords =\lyrics { ha4 ha ha ha }

biMusic = \notes \relative c {
    c4 c g c
}
biWords = \lyrics { hu4 hu hu hu }

biiMusic = \notes \relative c {
    g4 a f g
}
biiWords = \lyrics { ho4 ho ho ho }

\score { \notes
          \context ChoirStaff <<
              % #(set-accidental-style 'modern-cautionary)
              \override Score.BarNumber   #'padding = #3
              \set Score.autoBeaming = ##f

              \context Lyrics = tenori { s1 }
              \context Staff = tenors <<
                  \clef "treble_8"
                  \context Voice = tenori { \voiceOne \dynamicUp \global
                                            << \markups \tiMusic >> }
                  \context Voice = tenorii { \voiceTwo \tiiMusic }

              \context Lyrics = tenorii { s1 }
              \context Lyrics = bassi { s1 }
              \context Staff = basses <<
                  \clef bass
                  \context Voice = bassi { \voiceOne \global \biMusic }
                  \context Voice = bassii { \voiceTwo \dynamicDown
                                            << \markups \biiMusic >> }

              \context Lyrics = bassii { s1 }

              \context Lyrics = tenori \lyricsto tenori \tiWords
              \context Lyrics = tenorii \lyricsto tenorii \tiiWords
              \context Lyrics = bassi \lyricsto bassi \biWords
              \context Lyrics = bassii \lyricsto bassii \biiWords

  \paper {
    \context {

        % a little smaller so lyrics can be closer to the staff.
        \StaffContext
        minimumVerticalExtent = #'(-3 . 3)
-=-=-=->8 cut here

> I have some examples, some better than others, on
> <http://regina.uio.no/~arvidg/noter.html>, unfortunately without
> source at the moment, but I'll try and remember to put the source out
> there too.

Done now.  The page itself is in Norwegian, but there's not much text
on it that you won't understand.

As I said, Reger: Abschied illustrates a vertical spacing problem,
solved in Svedbom: Hej, dunkom.  Some pieces also have the
(conceptually ugly) s-instead-of-r-in-one-voice workaround to the
unmerged rests "problem".

--

Arvid