Barbershop Quartet / TTBB template ready for your critique

From: Peter B. Steiger
Subject: Barbershop Quartet / TTBB template ready for your critique
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 22:23:41 -0600

Thanks to the sample files, the documentation, and the helpful advice
here I have finally completed a template that makes it (relatively) easy
to enter four-part harmony vocal music where the harmony parts don't
always sing the same words as the lead (melody).

The template is here:
http://www.steigerfamily.com/pbs/bbshop-template.ly

An example of the output is here:
http://www.steigerfamily.com/pbs/bbshop-template.png

The template was designed using 2.3.22; I don't know how well it will
work with 2.2.x

Singers, please take a look at it and tell me where it needs
improvement.  Arvid, you mentioned working on a TTBB template; I would
especially like to see yours (meaning: steal all your good ideas to put
in mine).  I also could not get the part combiner to merge shared rests:
you can see in my template I use \partcombine but the rests in the
example png file are still separate.

Mats, I never was able to get the systems spaced correctly without
hardcoding the verticalExtent property of the top staff.  Leaving the
bottom staff on default was fine, but if I did not hardcode to (-4 . 4)
on the top staff it would space the systems apart several inches, or
even just print one system per page.  You can see my finished piece
here:
http://www.steigerfamily.com/pbs/hi-neighbor.ly

... and see how if you comment out the verticalExtent hardcoded values,
the vertical spacing seems almost random.

-------
Peter B. Steiger
Cheyenne, WY